Saturday, March 12, 2011

We Just Couldn't Wait Until Spring


Our spring fever got the best of us. The boys and I pooled out money and we each bought two chicks. You have to purchase a minimum of six. We had been waiting for TSC to get some red pullets. They had all white ones earlier. We dropped by the other day and they had gotten them in that morning. The boys and I talked it over and I told them that they would each have to use their own money to help buy the chicks. We got out our piggy banks and counted up all their money. I told them they would have to contribute $6 each. They both agreed to do that. We have been paying our current chickens $0.25 per egg into another jar. So we used the chickens money to buy the chick feed. Konrad set up the tub and gave them some shavings.

They are really cute. I just wish they were a little more hardy. On the way home from TSC they were each holding one chick. I heard Kolin say the chick was tickling his back! I turned to see him arched in his car seat and the chick was crawling in his shirt between the seat and his back. I quickly pulled the car over and ran around to fish the chick out of his shirt before it was squished. And Kaden has lost his chick-holding privileges for two days due to mishandling. I think he wants to see them fly.

We only lost one of six last year. I'll keep you posted on these six.

No comments: