Saturday, October 13, 2012

Kolin Update

   I know I haven’t talked to each of you personally and I can’t remember who I told what, so I thought I would update you all on what’s been going on.
    As you know Kolin had surgery on his kidney/ureter two years ago this October. Since then each follow-up ultrasound has been better than the last and his pediatric urologist and Vanderbilt Children’s has been happy with his progress. Since then Kolin has had occasional blood in his urine. After a while we began to notice that each episode occurred after times of intense physical activity. During our checkups I would mention this but he kept saying it was normal to have a little blood in the urine.
   Well, lately the frequency seems to be increasing so one day I called the pediatrician. Evidently I wasn’t making myself clear enough to the urologist because the pediatrician got very animated about it then urologist said I didn’t tell him it was visible blood in the urine. What other kind would I even notice?! Do I look like I have microscopic eyesight? I digress. To make a long story short the pediatrician called the urologist the urologist called and two doctor visits later we are scheduled for either an MRI or a Cat scan (can’t remember) of the kidneys.
   Urologist said he wasn’t worried more curious as to why this is going on. Some causes could be kidney stones or scar tissue from surgery. He also made a note in his chart after surgery that Kolin has a large collection of blood vessels at the top of his kidney where the surgery took place, could be something to do with that or something with a fancy name I can’t remember that means sometimes after heavy exercise there is blood in the urine.
    Kolin is in no pain, it doesn’t bother him a bit when he has an episode. We have ruled out an infection of the kidney or bladder. So we will let you know more when we know more.

No comments: