Saturday, August 16, 2014

Tomato

Amish Paste tomato. It is an heirloom tomato aquired from the Amish near Lancaster, PA. Seed Savers describes it "Delicious flesh is juicy and meaty, excellent for sauce or fresh eating." The are basically big romas. This one weighs one pound! It is very meaty inside. I made salsa with them. Konrad likes it. He's my official salsa tester.

I've also pickled some okra and jalapenos, not together :)
I've got more okra ready to pickle. I only have a few plants, so I kind of have to save up for a few days. You can't let the okra stay on the plant because it gets hard and then you can't use it.

My 2nd batch of pesto did not turn out as good as the first. I think I added too much garlic. I didn't think that was possible. I had to phone a friend for help. I asked Gina to come over and taste it to see what I neededto add. She has a much more refined palate than myself.

No comments: