Thursday, January 22, 2009

This Must Be Some Kind Of Record

What a HUGE day of little blessings at the Rocking K Ranch! It all started yesterday afternoon when we noticed that one nanny goat appeared to be laboring. We checked on her repeatedly and at 2:30AM Konrad found a healthy male kid beside his mother, Molly. Here is a picture of Molly's kid.

This morning I packed the kids up a few minutes early so I could go check on the goats before taking Kolin to school. I quickly saw Bugsy and April, then I drove around and found Samantha off by herself, a sign of labor, but I couldn't find Sam. I stopped the car and went into the only unoccupied stall left in the barn and Sam was in there with a kid on the ground! I had a couple of minutes to spare and it looked like she was still laboring so I decided to wait and see if more kids were on the way. I got to see the 2nd twin be born but then had to rush Kolin off to school. I came home and checked on them. Mother and kids were doing fine. Here are a couple pictures of mother and twins.


Kaden and I worked outside a lot today. Anticipating the release of Skit and her kids into the pasture, we moved Bugsy and April to the back pasture, carried water to all the animals and fed the new mamas. We ran some errands and went back home. I decided to go and check on Samantha before I left to pick up Kolin. I found her in a corner outside the barn with another kid on the ground! Just to catch you up, that is #4 so far for the day! She appeared to still be laboring so I stuck around. I watched her give birth to her second kid while on the phone with Konrad. He was on his way home from work. I told him to hurry, I didn't think she was done. He arrived, we switched places, I left to go get Kolin from school, and he stayed to watch the laboring. When I got home there were three healthy kids. We think there are 2 females and 1 male. Here are a couple pics of Samantha and her triplets.


and I can't not include another picture of my favorite little girl, Hipster, born Sunday 1/18/09.

No comments: