Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

As you can see we have some new friends on the farm. We got a few baby chicks from TSC on Monday. The boys are a little rough with them, it's especially hard for Kaden. Kolin really likes them and wants to go to the "coop" and hold them all the time. We bought the chicks to follow in T-Bone's footsteps, get fat and get in the freezer. I asked for meat chickens, but apparently there isn't such a breed. Of course they all lay eggs but she suggested a bigger bird for eating. We may keep some if they are laying eggs, but eventually...

Right now they are staying in a portion of Kash's dog house. As they get bigger I'll expand their area. We got a heat lamp with a red bulb, the red light is supposed to help keep them calm. During the day I lift the shade over the window and at light I lower it to keep out the draft. I also attached some small wire over the front hog wire so the cats can't get in. They were sitting on the window ledge yesterday, dreaming of being inside that coop I'm sure. I feel fairly certain the cats can't get in so now my main concern is a snake. I haven't seen one up here around the house before so I'm hopeful.

No comments: