Thursday, January 20, 2011

AT LAST!


After MUCH waiting and GREAT anticipation we finally have some baby goats!



On Sunday Kay appeared to be very close to giving birth and on Monday Konrad said he thought she was in labor. Kay was in the barn and our billy goat, Night Train was standing guard at the goat door of the barn. Konrad went to check on her before leaving at 4PM and called me immediately and said "there are babies on the ground, I repeat, babies on the ground!"Kid #3


Our friend Amy Shimabukuro happened to be visiting that day from the big city of Boston and I'm sure she thought we were crazy as the boys and I threw on our coveralls and ran out the door. I had just finished telling her that I had a Call List of friends that wanted to be notified when the kids were being born. I think she thought I was joking, but I actually had one and grabbed it as I ran out the door.

Two kids had been born in the barn so Konrad moved them into the maternity ward which is a clean stall on the opposite side of the barn-out of the poop and visible but out of reach from the other goats. I think Konrad finished the maternity ward before Thanksgiving anticipating a birth any day.

Nanny Kay, brown 9-pounder, and black 5-pounder.


On the call list were three home school families and they all made it in time to see the 3rd kid be born. There were at least 10 kids there, not including mine, ranging in age from 2-18. They were amazingly quiet during the birth as we had asked them to be. It was a fun time and everyone got a good education that day.



Kay did a wonderful job and is proving to be an excellent mother. These are her first kids so I am very happy that she is doing so well.

2 Days Old

All three kids are females, the do not yet have names. We [I] still aren't 100% sure they will all live so we aren't in a rush to name them, though with each day I give them a higher percent chance of making it. The last one born is the biggest (9 lbs) which is odd, usually they have gotten smaller as birth order progressed. We aren't sure of the birth order of the first two but one is 8 lbs and then there is the little one that is only 5lbs. She is tiny compared to the other two, several inches shorter, but is nursing and seems to be doing okay. Kolin really likes her so I hope all goes well. Kolin and his favorite.


Kaden likes whichever one he can get his hands on. He tends to be a little rough and has lost his goat-holding privileges more than once. I encourage him to hold the biggest one, she's the strongest by far. Fun times!

We would love to see you and show off our new kids here at the Rocking K Ranch. Hope to see you soon!

No comments: