Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Update on Little Bit

Tuesday:
So I'm not sure I even mentioned what was actually wrong with Little Bit. The vet said she just got too cold and her body quit working. He mentioned hypothermia and hypoglycemia, but I'm not sure he officially determined which she had. He was consulting his Sheep and Goat Handbook so it didn't seem like he had seen this too many times before. She is the runt of the triplets. Her two sisters are twice her size and though she is a fighter I'm not sure she's getting a good share of the milk. Her fur is different from the other babies too. It is very soft, the others are a little coarse. I'm not sure if that is affecting her ability to retain heat or not.



Our night feedings went well. Tuesday the boys and I took Little Bit on a road trip. We went through the drive-thru at Captain D's then to TSC for some milk replacer. She also rode with us to Aldi. We are going to start giving her one or two bottles a day so supplement what she is getting from Kay. The weather is supposed to warm up soon so we will probably return her to the barn/field with the other goats then.

Friday:
She won't take the bottle, so I guess she's not starving. She is asleep in her bucket with the boys. She really doesn't make any noise until she gets really hungry. I took her to the barn at 1AM last night for a feeding then put her in her box and she didn't make a peep until 8AM this morning.
The boys and I went to the pet store today and bought her a sweater. She's very cute in it. I bought purple so if we needed it in the future for a male kid it wouldn't look to girly :) While at the pet store Kolin discovered they were having a snake exhibit next Saturday. He wants to go. Any volunteers?

No comments: