Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Strawberry Patch



This is the strawberry patch that I planted on top of the old compost pile. I have a soaker hose hooked up to it so it's easy to water. And of course there's my chicken guard on top. So far it has been effective, but so far there aren't any strawberries. You can see Nancy in the background.

I'm warring with snails right now. I went out just after a rain and collected 200 snails! Also a hand full of slugs, which I refuse to touch with my bare hands but picked out with a stick and smashed. I later showed the boys my collection and they offered to kill them for me. Not sure how I feel about that. It is good to allow your children to kill creatures no matter how destructive they are? I'm not sure it's a good idea. I did throw out a couple of newly found snails for them to run over with their bikes. Doesn't that crunch bother them? Ick.
The last time I picked up snails, just a cup full at that time, I threw them out in the street to hopefully get run over. I wasn't there for the crunch. Are they good for anything? Do you think the chickens would eat them? Mmm...

and did I mention that I have 100 or so black walnut treet growing in the garden? Remember all those walnuts I collected last year? Well all the ones I didn't shell I put in a pile and what do you know, the pile sprouted. So if anyone needs a black walnut tree let me know. I might just send one (or twenty) to you anyway.

No comments: