Sunday, May 8, 2011

They're BAACK!

We saw the holes in the ground two days ago and this afternoon we found our first cicada of this 13-year cycle. The boys have not formed an opinion of them yet. There also isn't any noise, yet, as the mating period hasn't started. They look smaller than what I remember in 1985. I wasn't here in May 1998.




It doesn't sound like they will harm the garden, they look for pencil sized tree branches. I just started spraying the fruit trees so they should be protected. I'm not going to buy nets for all of them, so I hope the spray keeps them at bay. I also read they are only in middle TN and a few surrounding counties and are a part of cicada Brood XIX, in case any scientists were wondering about that. They only live about six weeks so if you want to experience them live make your travel plans to the Rocking K Ranch quick!




No comments: