Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gardening

So my gardening is going well. My plan is to scatter my fruits and veggies around the back yard instead of having one big garden. I have one bed on the side of the house where we are already harvesting green leaf lettuce. The broccoli is coming along and yesterday I planted mixed lettuce seeds and flat leaf spinach in that bed. Then in another bed I planted 2 rows of sweet corn and 3 mounds of pumpkins. I also watered the blueberry bush, which reminds me that I need to go the farmer's market and get another one. I wanted to wait and see if it lived through the winter first. I think I have already mentioned the grape vines. 3 of them are still alive and have a few green leaves. They all got stunted (again) by the frost in late April and then the horses stepped on one of them. I was trying to be nice and I let them in there to eat the tall grass before I mowed it down and they go munching on the bushes and stepping on my grapes!

Back to my garden. I planted okra seeds today, this is a new veggie for me, never grown it before. I also have one Big Boy tomato, one sweet cherry tomato, one red bell pepper, one green bell pepper, one sweet banana pepper, and one jalapeno pepper plant. And for herbs I have cilantro (which was surprisingly hard to find, evidently it is very popular) and oregano. I am also growing mint and basil for my mom and I'm still searching for rosemary. I think that's everything.

So this is my stress relieving hobby. I dig, I weed, I water. Not too much brain activity required for that. You'll probably hear more about my garden just because I love it. Feel free to skip over any future blogs about pepper pests or pumpkin problems.

No comments: