Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Family Projects

The weather has been warming up a bit. That has allowed us to spend some time outside and we are really enjoying our new property. Diesel and I are growing grapes. One plant each of four different species. They are 2 year old plants. I have no idea how to grow grapes so I've been on the Internet tyring to figure it out. They are in pots right now but husband dug me four nice big holes yesterday and today he put in two posts (with Quickrete and all!) to tie the wires to that these grapes are supposedly going to grow on. I have to train them to grow up to the wires, one at 36" and the 2nd at 60" high. From what I'm reading grapes need a lot of pruning and care. I shouldn't have a problem with that part through the summer.
I've also been busy trimming bushes, removing bushes, weeding flower beds, picking up sticks and beginning today-hauling compost from the back up to the garden bed that we are building up. Husband and I laid out the railroad ties in somewhat of a square and now all I have to do is fill it with compost! I brought up two trailer loads today with the 4-wheeler. I'm guessing it will take 10 or more. Big Love went with me and he had compost all over him before we were done. He's rolling around right now trying to fall asleep. Maybe if I cut the computer and it's light off it would help. later.

No comments: